A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 23 August 2015

Mixed Media Peace Doves

My last few cards have been what I call my "old style" - pretty straightforward stamping, colouring, either some dp for the background or a bordering layer.  So the last couple of days I was yearning to get back to my "new style" of using some of the newer products like stencils, paste, sprays, etc. and ending up with a more mixed media type of card.  Yesterday's SCS Inspiration Challenge totally fed into this - to be inspired by one of the pins on a mixed media Pinterest site.  I found this pin and immediately knew what I wanted to do - turn it into a Christmas card with a "peace on earth" theme.

Here's my result:
I kept the layout, the general design, the colour scheme, but changed the ravens to doves and the sentiment to peace.

I used three different sprays to get the background, and then flicked some dark brown Twinkling H2O paint on it with a paint brush.  I used a star stencil (made for me by my always generous friend, Loll Thompson) with a gold embossing paste instead of the little triangle stencil on the inspiration.  I stamped my sentiment in dark brown and die cut the doves out of dark bronze shimmer cardstock.  I edged the panel in the same dark bronze.

Supplies:
Stamps: Tim Holtz sentiment
Paper: mixed media cs, dark bronze shimmer cs, PTI vintage cream cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Distress Walnut Stain
Accessories: homemade star stencil, Memory Box dove dies, Dreamweaver gold embossing paste, Lindy's Stamp Gang Long John Silver spray, Mr Huey's Shell spray, Distress Antique Linen spray stain, dark brown Twinkling H2O paint

1 comment:

  1. You do mixed media so well, Susan! I love these gold stars and the dove silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.