A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 2 October 2015

A Lazy Dog and a Frisky Pony


Today's Free for All challenge over at Splitcoaststampers is "Puppy Love" and those of you who have read earlier blog posts, know that I love dogs.

A friend who is a fellow dog lover is retiring soon, and this sleepy lazy dog seemed to go so well with the idea of retiring. I stamped him and coloured him with coloured pencils.

The background panel was done using some blue sprays, then it was run through a script embossing folder. I rubbed Ice Blue Inka gold over the top of the embossed script, and then rubbed some on a scrap of cs and used that to die cut "retirement".

And moving on from dogs to my other favourite animal, I've done a Christmas card using a new horse stamp - actually a stamp of a carousel horse, but I trimmed off the carousel pole.
It's the last of my monthly quota of Christmas cards for the SCS Christmas Card Challenge for September which has a theme of snowflakes and sapphire blue.  I did the background with the faux letterpress technique - I used a swirly snowflake embossing folder, inked up the raised surface of the snowflakes and then embossed my cs so that the blue swirls and snowflakes and debossed.  The pony is water coloured and fussy cut, with Wink of Stella added to the blanket's fur edges.  There are also lines of Wink of Stella on the snowy ground.

Thanks for taking a peek at cards using my favourite animals!






Supplies for the first card:
Stamps: Penny Black
Paper: white and black cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Ice Blue Inka Gold, Mr Huey's Blue Fireworks spray, homemade blue spray, Dee's Distinctively retirement die, Sissix ef, foam tape, coloured pencils 
Supplies for the second card:
Stamps: Whimsy Stamps horse, Rubber Soul sentiment
Paper: white cs, watercolour paper
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Distress Faded Jeans
Accessories: Wink of Stella, watercolour paints, foam tape, Darice embossing folder

4 comments:

  1. super sweet cards Susan they are wonderful.
    Gr Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Christmas cape for this horse! I love how you've done the background. The inking really makes the swirling snowflakes show up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I forgot to say what a perfect retirement card this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great cards Susan. The dog image is perfect for a retirement card ... looks like he's been retired for a while and has had lots of practice "resting". :) And your Christmas card is so pretty. Beautiful image and love the bright colours of the horse's cape. Great background to show it all off. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.