A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 17 July 2016

Frameworthy and Inspired

Two great challenges on SCS at the end of last week - Free for All "Frameworthy" (add a frame to your card) and Inspiration Challenge (be inspired by a floral image on a website called Petals).

For the first one I created this card:


A month or so ago, I was at Loll Thompson's house and she shared her aspen tree stencil and her stenciling with brushos technique. I came home with a few backgrounds and am finally getting around to using one.

It is definitely "frameworthy" as it's such a great (and easy) technique. To see Loll's video tutorial on how to do it, go to this link.  I was totally inspired by this card of Loll's.

I added a die cut reindeer, a heat embossed sentiment, and a die cut pierced frame, and mounted it on a rustic cs base.

For the Inspiration Challenge, as soon as I saw this image in the wreath section of the Petals website, I knew what I wanted to make.  Here is my card:


I punched lots of pine brunches out of various green dps (usually with grass patterns on them) and glued them to a circle cut with two Nesties dies. Added red gemstones for berries.

The wall is made with white embossing paste through a brick stencil on grey cs. I popped it up on fun foam for some dimension and added a die cut sentiment.


Christine and I were at Loll's for another crafty get-together on Saturday and I came home with several great pieces just needing to be turned into cards - I'll be back soon with some of them.




Supplies for the first card:
Stamps: Rubber Soul sentiment 
Paper: mixed media, black and brown cs, PTI Rustic cs
Ink: Colorbox White
Accessories: Dee's Distinctively reindeer die, pierced frame die, white embossing powder, black brushos, TCW aspen trees stencil  
Supplies for the second card:
Paper: white, red, and grey cs; various green dp
Accessories: Martha Stewart pine branch punch, Nesties circle dies, red gemstones, Tim Holtz brick wall stencil, Dreamweaver white embossing paste, Tattered Lace sentiment die, fun foam  

5 comments:

  1. WOW ... two amazing cards Susan. LOVE how your brushos background turned out ... and looks so beautiful with the pretty deer. The framing really is perfect for this. And your second card is also very cool. Embossing paste over coloured card looks awesome. The brick wall has so much texture and variations of colour. And love your layered pine sprig wreath. So much inspiration, Susan!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Susan...I actually said, "WOW" Out Loud!!! I LOVE both your cards. Your Stenciling with Brushos Aspen trees background is Stunning with your die cut deer and beautiful framing. I deserves a permanent frame to brought out every Christmas for a decoration.

    Love your beautifully textured brick wall and gorgeous fern wreath with your red berries. Did you add grey ink to your embossing paste/

    TFS both your beauties Susan. Hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are super nice. That wreath is nice & looks great over the brick. The tree background is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful, serene woodland scene! And Your wreath is gorgeous! Especially against all that textured brick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning creations! Love the first one and the technique you've used...Wow on the second. Loving the textured wall and that ever so cute wreath. Thank you for the fabulous inspiration x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.