A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 1 October 2016

Ghosting a Snowflake

It's time for a new CAS Mix Up challenge!  For the month of October, it is "Ghosting".


I am in Christmas card mode as time is passing by so quickly and I need to get lots of Christmas cards made.  So I came up with this card as my Design Team contribution:


I started out by taking a piece of glossy cs and adding a couple of shades of blue alcohol ink and some silver mixative to it.  I then took a snowflake stencil (one of the good old Dreamweaver brass stencils) and went over it with alcohol blending solution to remove the alcohol inks in order to "ghost" the snowflake image.

I cut it out with a circle Nestie die and framed it with a Memory Box circle / snowflake die cut out of silver cs.  Mounted it on a white cardbase, heat embossed the sentiment, and embellished with a few sequins.

There are many different ways to do ghosting.  Head on over to the CAS Mix Up blog for more information and to link up your card.  You have until October 24th.  Please remember that your card must be clean and simple, as well as including stamping, ghosting, and at least one other thing from our list of suggestions in the right hand column.  In my case, my other things are heat embossing (my sentiment), alcohol inks, and die cutting.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!





Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts sentiment
Ink - Brilliance Pearlescent Sky Blue for sentiment; various blue alcohol inks
Paper - white and silver cs, glossy cs
Size - A2
Accessories - alcohol blending solution, silver mixative, Nesties circle die, Memory Box snowflake circle die, Dreamweaver snowflake stencil, clear embossing powder



9 comments:

  1. LOVE the effect from the blending solution through the stencil Susan. Gorgeous Christmas card (in your colours!). :) Beautiful design with the circle aperture with silver framing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your ghosting technique. Pretty cool. I hadn't thought of doing it with alcohol inks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your ghosting technique. Pretty cool. I hadn't thought of doing it with alcohol inks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an effective ghosting technique. Love the colours and the artsy look to it. Thank you for the wonderful opportunity this month...loved it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how your ghosting stenciling technique over your Alcohol Ink background turned out Susan. So pretty with the addition of your silver snowflaked, die cut circle frame and sequins. TFS my friend. Hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful snowflake, Susan! It shows beautifully on that pretty blue AI background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Susan! You did a very beautiful card! I love the blue background and the "spirit" snowflakes ... it looks incredible! Putting this theme in the frame points accurately to the center. Great design.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.