A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Metal and Rust

Some fun with mixed media!

The latest SCS Mixability challenge is "Petals to the Metal" - a mixed media project with flowers or petals made of metal of some sort.  And the SCS Ways to Use It challenge is "Shape Up" - make a shaped card - any shape except for the typical squares or rectangles.  I came up with this card to meet both challenges:


I chose a hexagon for my shape and created a poinsettia out of heated metal. I die cut it twice, shaped it, and then attached both layers to the top hexagon with a brad.

The top layer was created with a holly stencil and green spray, and then when the spray was dry, I splattered with some liquid copper paint and added a sentiment.


On Sunday, Christine (calex on SCS) of It's a Card Day's Night and I spent the day with Loll Thompson, experimenting with various new supplies and techniques.  One of the things we tried was rusting powder.  While none of us were too thrilled with our results (or with the bad smell it creates when you add the vinegar), I decided that I'd use a small piece as a frame for a sentiment on this card for SCS CAS challenge "I Love Chocolate":


It has a chocolatey colour so seemed perfect for the Kay Foley sentiment about Belgian chocolates.

The rusting powder was done on kraft cs by painting gesso around the edges, then sprinkling on the rusting powder, letting the gesso dry, then spritzing with vinegar, letting it dry, and repeating the vinegar a couple more times.

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment, popped the panel up on fun foam, and placed it on a background layer of white cs.  I twisted dark brown and copper ribbon together and added it to the side of the background layer.

Thanks for dropping by today!





Supplies for card 1:
Stamps - Penny Black sentiment
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - white cs
Size - 4.25" across the points of the hexagon
Accessories - copper, Tim Holtz Tattered Poinsettia die, Penny Black stencil, Mr. Huey's green spray, liquid copper paint, Spellbinders hexagon dies, black brad

Supplies for card 2:
Stamps - Kay Foley sentiment
Ink - Versafine Vintage Sepia
Paper - white and kraft cs
Size - A2
Accessories - gesso, rusting powder, vinegar, clear embossing powder, copper and dark brown ribbon, fun foam







5 comments:

  1. Your hexagon card with the copper flower is just gorgeous, Susan. Love the crisp, clean images of your background holly, not an easy feat when using sprays. Your rusting powder card look awesome! Worth putting up with the terrible smell from the chemical reaction with vinegar. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post today. Both very different cards and both fabulous. Love the sentiment on the second card and rusting effect. Amazing mixed media card on the first x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your copper poinsettia with the holly leaves and copper splatter! And the rusting powder looks good even if the process smells bad. Love that sentiment and it's perfect with that rusted frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the copper poinsettia is beautiful, and I can't believe the holly is spray inks, the image is so crisp. gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hexagon shaped card is Gorgeous, Susan. I your background for your beautiful heated copper poinsettia. A Really Stunning holiday card my friend. TFS your Rusting powder background for you fun sentiment. I don't think I would like the smell either, but the results are pretty awesome. TFS Hugs..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.