A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 27 April 2017

Rusty Teapot

Today's Ways to Use It challenge over at SCS is "Two for Tea" (to feature tea on your card), and with tea being my favourite beverage, I had to take part!


A while back I was at Loll Thompson's house and we played with her rusting powder. I used it to edge a couple of panels, and I still had one sitting in my UFO box. It was the perfect size for the stamp I used (teapot and sentiment all in one stamp), and also the rusty colour is the colour of tea (regular black tea at least!).

I stamped in Distress Oxide Vintage Photo (the new oxide inks stamp nice and sharp compared to the regular Distress inks), heat embossed, and then coloured in the teapot with a bit of the ink.  I sponged a bit of regular Antique Linen around the stamping so it wasn't so stark white - I wanted quite a vintage look.

I mounted it on fun foam on a piece of text dp.

In case you're interested in how the rusting powder is used: you paint gesso around the edges of the cs, then sprinkle on the rusting powder, let the gesso dry, then spritz with vinegar, let it dry, and repeat the vinegar a couple more times. It streaks and runs just the way something does when it goes rusty. Quite a neat effect but it has a really horrid smell during the process!





Supplies:
Stamps - Hampton Art
Ink - Distress Oxide Vintage Photo, Distress Antique Linen
Paper - white cs, unknown dp
Size - A2
Accessories - rusting powder, gesso, vinegar, clear embossing powder, fun foam



7 comments:

  1. TFS your vintage tea pot rusty image, Susan. Such a cool vintage effect. Is it a vinegar smell or worse? You really did get an amazing rusty look though to your card. TFS my friend. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rusty piece worked perfectly with your teapot! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pairing with your rusted piece and your teapot and sentiment. Love the scripty background too. We need to play some more with the rusting technique. I don't think I used any of the samples we made together. :) You're right ... the smell is bad. Maybe next time we'll do it outside. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever technique..even if it smells! Vintage looking card and loving the tea pot theme x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rusted edge is perfect framing your wonderful tea stamp Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love the vintage look on this one Susan! What a cool technique and your results are wonderful! Funny you didn't like the smell since I just happen to love the smell of vinegar. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't the vinegar smell but the combination of the vinegar and the rusting compound - truly horrid. Loll and Christine hated it too!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.