A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 7 September 2017

Winter Sky

When I was growing up in Ontario, I always loved the pale winter skies with the silhouette of bare tree branches against it.  I tried to capture that in this card:


I heat embossed the image in sparkly embossing powder on watercolour paper.

I did a watercolour wash background using Distress Stains and lots of water - the stains give a lovely pale look, typical of a winter sky on a cold day.  I put a bit of each on an acrylic block, spritzed with water, and brushed on with even more water.  Love the way the colours blended into each other perfectly!

When I stamped the sentiment directly on the panel, it ended up crooked so I restamped it on a scrap of watercolour paper, cut it into a thin banner, and taped it over the crooked one.

I popped it up on fun foam on a pale blue card base that tones in nicely with the middle band of colour.  The final touch was adding some glitter along the snow lines.


It's going off to the following challenges:

CAS Watercolour "Silhouette".

CAS Mix Up "Watercolour Wash" - I have stamping, the watercolour wash, and heat embossing / emboss resist as my "other".

SCS Ways to Use It "Oldie but Goodie" - I used one of my oldest stamp sets for it.

SCS Christmas Card Challenge for September "Trees or Outdoor Scenes".






Supplies:
Stamps - SU Lovely as a Tree, Penny Black sentiment
Ink - Versafine Smokey Grey
Paper - watercolour paper, pale grey blue cs
Size - A2
Accessories - SU Irridescent Ice embossing powder, glitter, fun foam



8 comments:

  1. Beautifully blended soft watercolour was for your sky. My SU Lovely as a Tree stamp set was my 1st SU set over 10 years ago and is still a favorite, even though I have not used for awhile. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration my friend. BTW..I can see the pretty glitter in your snow:-) TFS Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly and oldie but goody stamp, Susan! It's perfect with your watercolor washed sky! A lovely, peaceful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card!...and one of my favorite stamps, too! :D The colors are wonderful. The banner "save" was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the gray blue card stock it really accentuates the watercolour wash to give a very wintry feel. It's always fun to pull out an old favorite, gorgeous card :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely winter scene, Susan. Love the softness of your watercolour wash background. The light blue card base looks perfect for a cold winter's day. xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, Susan. Beautiful watercolour wash. A perfect tranquil Winter scene. I feel so relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a lovely card mf...the softness of the colour is wonderful.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful soft subtle sky you created with your watercolors Susan! love that old SU stamp of the trees and the pretty glitter! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.