A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 4 April 2018

Embossed Alcohol Ink Panel

I'm quickly posting today so that I don't miss the deadline for the 52 Christmas Card Throwdown:


I used dry embossing on my focal panel on this card:


I put a piece of aluminum foil tape on a scrap of white cs and ran it through an embossing folder. Then dropped various Christmas colours of alcohol inks on it, trying not to let the red and green mix and turn to muddy brown. When dry, I sanded over the raised portions to get the ink off.

I bordered that panel with red and green shimmery cs, and topped with a Tim Holtz Christmas token attached with silver cord. I popped the panel up with foam tape and added it to a matte silver card base.

I've also used this technique and die cut ornaments out of it, as in this card (a CASE of a card I posted a while back, but using different dies):


I die cut with various ornament dies, "hung" them on the card with silver cord, popping them up with a bit of foam tape.

The sentiment is stamped in Staz-On as the cs is shimmery and slippery. I trimmed the main panel so that I could tape the silver cord behind it, and then popped it up on foam tape.

I'm going to link it up at CAS Christmas where the April challenge is Ornaments.

I promise I'll be back one of these days with something other than a Christmas card!






Supplies for card 1:
Ink - various alcohol inks
Paper - red and green shimmer cs, silver matte cs, scrap of white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, Tim Holtz "Festive" metal token, silver cord, foam tape, aluminum foil tape used for furnace ducts

Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Staz-on, various Christmas colours of alcohol inks
Paper - scrap of cs, cream shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Spellbinders ornament dies, silver cord, Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, aluminum foil tape used for furnace ducts, foam tape




11 comments:

  1. Cool technique with a striking effect, Susan! Fabulous idea to die cut ornaments from it. Now I need to buy some foil tape. 😂 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, what an incredible technique and love the outcome. I also love your vintage looking ornaments! How cool is this? Thanks for sharing this. It looks so fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool technique. Both cards are AMAZING! Need to play with this technique! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep those Christmas cards coming, Susan! Especially when they're this pretty! Love this technique and it's not one that I've done but hope to find time to do. The simple panel is so pretty and the ornaments are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty Susan, It's been a while since I used my AI's and foil. Wonderful inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ornaments are so gorgeous, Susan! The dry-embossed aluminum foil tape with alcohol ink – sounds like an interesting technique. I want to try it someday. I especially love the design of the second card! Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..really gorgeous and unique Christmas card designs, Susan. I NEVER get tired of seeing your beautiful and inspiring Christmas cards, my friend.

    I would love to try your techniques..so beautiful. TFS Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really interesting technique and makes fantastic ornaments. Thanks for joining in at 52CCT

    ReplyDelete
  9. c'est magnifique Susan, original et très moderne, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning technique and so unique. Eye catching cards, both of them x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ornaments are so rich and lovely, they look like they should be taken off the card and hung on a tree!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.